coccsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

5L 308 Help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkStar

DarkStar

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-10-31

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 4:45 am

Hi guys,

Got the new car yesterday...and It's having trouble starting...

Cranked over fine for Daniel (previous owner/RBE 747) and the first time i try and start it, it cranks really slowly and just wouldn't start. Rechrged battery, put it back, and still the same...Called the RAA, they replaced the battery connections (old ones were in bad shape) and it cranked over fine...Got back home after a drive, tried starting again, and no go! Called RAA again, they came back...Ended up with battery, and two sets of jumper leads ttached, nd it still wouldn't crank...tested power all the way to the starter motor, so battery and all the wiring to the starter are fine. Ended up saying that if it started first thing in the morning, it was most likely flooding, otherwise it's the starter. Following morning, i go out and start, and BAM it starts straight away, without a hassle...Take it for a drive, come home, and switch it off...I try and start it a couple of minutes later for safe measure and it's once again cranking really slow and is refusing to turn over...

What the HELL is wrong with this motor?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1650784809

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 6:46 am

you are forever destined to drive a camry

Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member
DANNY8

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-20

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

Do ya know wat sort of starter motor it has and is it running extractors? Could be the starter motor getting too hot! Or even the fat cable going from the starter motor to the battery getting hot. Hence why it starts ok when it's cold, but not after u drive it for a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kerrbrosracing.com
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 7:53 am

AndyCapped wrote:
you are forever destined to drive a camry

Hahahaha. Oh, Andy...I think you're right! LOL
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 7:54 am

DANNY8 wrote:
Do ya know wat sort of starter motor it has and is it running extractors? Could be the starter motor getting too hot! Or even the fat cable going from the starter motor to the battery getting hot. Hence why it starts ok when it's cold, but not after u drive it for a bit.

I've got no idea what kind of starter motor could be running it...It has a stock manifold on it, so that would mean it'd b hotter I'd assume? If that would be th case...What's the solution to the problem & how much will it cost me? lol
Back to top Go down
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-02-17

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

sounds like the starter is stuffed, when you say it won't turn over is it making any noise?

I would run a jumper lead to the start signal on the starter get it hot and if it won't start when hot then use the jumper and see if thaat makes a difference?

I had a vl 6 that when hot wouldn't start when hot, all i did was run the positive line to the start signal terminal direct to the + battery terminal and all good on hot days. real cause was the heat and a starter motor was on its way out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eatmine.com

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 1:06 am

Gee Jack,what u gonna do with a v8 Rolling Eyes

U starting a caryard at ya mum place lol!
I gather the vk is look for a new home a.s.a.p What a Face

should trade ya the H.S.V 21 speed bike I have
u can take the wheel off & fit it in the boot, Suspect "JUst in case ".lol

Let hope u can have it fix for the club cruise
u just have to find someone legal to drive it Twisted Evil Laughing affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

HRDNUP wrote:
sounds like the starter is stuffed, when you say it won't turn over is it making any noise?

I would run a jumper lead to the start signal on the starter get it hot and if it won't start when hot then use the jumper and see if thaat makes a difference?

I had a vl 6 that when hot wouldn't start when hot, all i did was run the positive line to the start signal terminal direct to the + battery terminal and all good on hot days. real cause was the heat and a starter motor was on its way out.

I'll be getting the starter replaced, just to be safe... They're not that much fortunately, just hope the mechanic doesn't slab a few hours of labor on it...Bastards better work fast! Hahaha. At least i'll have the peace of mind to know that it's definitely not the starter then...
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

mabo wrote:
Gee Jack,what u gonna do with a v8 Rolling Eyes

U starting a caryard at ya mum place lol!
I gather the vk is look for a new home a.s.a.p What a Face

should trade ya the H.S.V 21 speed bike I have
u can take the wheel off & fit it in the boot, Suspect "JUst in case ".lol

Let hope u can have it fix for the club cruise
u just have to find someone legal to drive it Twisted Evil Laughing affraid lol!

SOMEONE loves emoticons! Razz

DANNY8 Is taking the shell bud Smile Once that's gone, Miller Auto & Parts will be officially closed Razz

And for all of you who have tried telling me I can't drive it, after checking with the STURT POLICE STATION several months ago (prior to considering the 253 swap for black beauty) I was told that I was excempt from the high powered vehicle laws due to me obtaining my provisional license in May last year, before the laws were introduced...So It's all good for me to drive Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-02-17

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

gee you like to waste money champ. 30min job
Back to top Go down
http://www.eatmine.com
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

HRDNUP wrote:
gee you like to waste money champ. 30min job

I don't have the know-how nor the facilities to do it...And I can't ask anyone to come round and do it either as i don't even have a garage to do it in! So looks like mechanic it shall be :/
Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member
DANNY8

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:34 pm

Also get the carby checked out incase it is flooding it aye. But yeah if the RAA guy is sure the alternator is charging and the battery is 100% fine, and the current to the starter motor is fine, theoretically it would be the starter. Hey is the motor earthed out properly? That's one thing I didn't think to check 2day....not that I could coz we didn't bring any tools. But yeah make sure there's an earth lead going from the body to the motor, or from the negative terminal to the motor....that could be another possibility. Make sure it's a decent sized cable too.
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

DANNY8 wrote:
Also get the carby checked out incase it is flooding it aye. But yeah if the RAA guy is sure the alternator is charging and the battery is 100% fine, and the current to the starter motor is fine, theoretically it would be the starter. Hey is the motor earthed out properly? That's one thing I didn't think to check 2day....not that I could coz we didn't bring any tools. But yeah make sure there's an earth lead going from the body to the motor, or from the negative terminal to the motor....that could be another possibility. Make sure it's a decent sized cable too.

Cheers for ya help mate! Yeah I'll be sure to check that out before taking it in. Driving it to and from work tomorrow as i won't be doing any "repeat-starting" lol. Will get the carby re-tuned anyway to see how economic i can get it! Yeah, the RAA guy was positive all the wiring and battery was fine...Hopefully it'll all be sorted within a couple of days Smile
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Took it down to be examined at Claridge Holden and within 10 minutes, they had determined that it was indeed the starter motor Smile

Ordering a replacement one from Melbourne, have replaced my leaking power steering hose, and have fixed all leaks on the motor, along with a free service & tune! Costing me just under the $500 mark and I'll have it back Wednesday arvo...
Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member
DANNY8

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

Good stuff mate, lets hope that indeed fixes it and you'll have years of trouble-free motoring lol.
Back to top Go down

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

I be damm,u even got that damm thing Claridge approve
might even be a half reasonable car
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 9:36 am

ALL DONE!

$800 in PARTS later...(Free hours 'cause i'm special Razz) And I now drive a Claridge Holden Certified Vehicle Razz

Ended up installing a brand new steering shaft as the current one was TACK WELDED to the firewall (WTFillegal) and the welds had broken...In turn, my wheels would not turn with the steering wheel unless the motor & power steering was running...Could have bloody killed me!

NOW...Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors. Does anyone know where I can locate one of these beauties in new condition? The Holley is obviously "illegal" and I want a 100% legit motor, being a P plater and all...

Weeeeeeeee.
Back to top Go down

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

BlackBeauty wrote:

NOW...Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors. Does anyone know where I can locate one of these beauties in new condition? The Holley is obviously "illegal" and I want a 100% legit motor, being a P plater and all....

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND JACK !!!!!
Back to top Go down

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

BlackBeauty wrote:

Ended up installing a brand new steering shaft as the current one was TACK WELDED to the firewall (WTFillegal) and the welds had broken...In turn, my wheels would not turn with the steering wheel unless the motor & power steering was running...Could have bloody killed me!

Which is why if you dont have a very good grasp on what to look for when buying a car, you get them inspected by someone who does, or failing that take someone who knows with you.....we spoke about this didnt we !!!!
Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member
DANNY8

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

So does she start good now Jack?

If ur gonna run a quaddy, I wouldn't go a 2nd hand one which has been sitting in someone's shed for 10 years (I got bout 5 of them lol), you'll end up having drama's with it not running right, or using excess fuel, or not running at all lol..........go one of these instead.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QUADRAJET-HOLDEN-308-BLUE-MOTOR-CARBY-RECONDITIONED-/350475643181?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199f9e92d#ht_934wt_905

I've bought a few carbs off of them (no quadrajets yet tho) and so far they've all been great, haven't had to touch them at all and they ran fine! If u do get one of their carbs, tell them it's for a VL with a black 308 (or technically 304 but they'll know) just incase there's minor differences with pollution gear.

Just might have to get someone to help ya out putting it on coz there's a few extra vacuum connections on that. Also ya could sell ur Holley afterwards which should pay for most, if not all of the new quaddy!

Also was just having a look at ur pics on facebook and I see the ported vac port on ur carby is blocked up. Normally that's the bugger that goes to ya dizzy. Can't see any vacuum going to the dizzy, is there any? There should be a miniture UFO lookin thing on the side of the dizzy somewhere with a vacuum line coming off it and will normally be going to the manifold or carby somewhere (should be going to the ported vac port), is that there? I see there's a vacuum tree in the back intake runner, it could be going to that...which is wrong. The ported vacuum port is the one on the driver side of the carby, up front just behind the bowl, which has a blockoff bung on it. That port doesn't have vacuum at idle, but opens up when the revs get up. At the moment if ur dizzy vacuum is hooked up to anything else it could be advancing to soon.

But if ur goin a quaddy ya may as well leave it until ya change carby's! Very Happy Will catch up to ya soon bout the VK, it will be out of my next pay, so then will organise a trip to come get it, will be in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

5L 308 Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5L 308 Help   5L 308 Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5L 308 Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
coccsa :: GENERAL :: Tech Help-
Jump to: