coccsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
godfather
Club Member
godfather

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-16

VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Empty
PostSubject: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 12:22 am

Hey,

When I got my VP back 2 years ago, I started looking around for ideas to do for the car (mods etc), and came across an interesting post about a guy who managed to install a VS dash in his VN.

That got me thinking, the VP dash *is* nice, however the all-plastic-mold of the VP dash causes it to crack in the most shitest places. So, 6 months ago, after having enough of the creaking and cracking and the screw points going on me, I started gathering VS dash parts.

I decided to go for a VS Statesman dash, as the dash looks much nicer than the stock VS commo dash.

Pros:
Newer dash, less design problems
Main dashpad has a metallic core
Less cracking on main mounting points
'Looks nicer'
More modular (don't have to replace half the dash if a part cracks etc)
Change of scenery
A Challenge

Cons:
Not original for a VP (debatable if that's even relevant on my car (Aftermarket Senator kit))
Tricky
Wiring can cause issues for other parts of the car

I found it hard to get 'Cons'...

Wiring and the Windscreen demister vent were my two main causes for concern in the project, so while I was gathering parts, I also made wire loom adapters (4 in total) and worked on a airflow conduit for the demister. The key here was I did not want to make *any* changes to my existing wire loom, because (a) I knew my wire loom 'worked', so why change it? and (b) the VR/VS wiring is mostly similar to a VN/VP, so adapters mean less soldering 'incar'. The adapters were made in the house, and transplanted into the car Smile

I looked at this forum for inspiration, and did something similar for the demister section.

Once I had the wire loom adapters all completed (1. Trip Computer, Hazard Switch, Rear Demist, 2. Windscreen Wiper, 3. Headlight switch, 4. Cruise Control) and tested and the demister vent completed, I was ready to install.

So, over the xmas break for 2 and a half days I lived in my car, removing the old dash (which continued to crack and groan as I carried its sorry ass to the garage) and installed the new one. Probably the hardest part of the entire install was trying to put the main mounting point in the top centre part of the dashpad in. The Windscreen kept getting in the way and I got my dad to lift the dash in place while I screwed the bolt in with a long sidchrome wrench.

I've put some pics up at my Adam Internet gallery, and there are many more to come.

I detailed a number of plugs in the VP dash loom for this project, and will be putting said details (along with circuit diagrams) in the gallery for anyone else to use...

The only things I need to complete is the passenger side doorcard and speaker pod (of which I have a VS Statesman speaker pod, the metallic grill one, not the shitty plastic one) and the under-dash footwell lights.
Back to top Go down
Pazz
Club Member
Pazz

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 5:42 am

OMG the godfather still lives lol

glad to hear your progressing with this John, looking forward to seeing the finished product

cheers
Back to top Go down
https://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd
godfather
Club Member
godfather

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 5:45 am

Hey Pazzzzz.

Yeah, it's been a while! Now you know what Ive been up to, haha.

I should have the rest of the install done this weekend, which means no welcome back cruise for me... but I am aiming to go on the cruise on the 31st, which sounds very interesting!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm

Great job John, that looks great with the Stato dash in it. Hows the Paint job going is that all done now?
Back to top Go down
godfather
Club Member
godfather

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

Hey Cliff,

nah mate its not going Sad I wanted to get the car resprayed over the xmas break, but well, xmas takes all my money. Worst time to save ever!

As it is, the car needs:

Transmission rebuild
New tyres
New Rims (calais internationals, or if I can find them, 17" VP Senator rims...)
Respray

So... yeah... money money money...

I started getting VS dash parts at a time when things were not so bad for the car, so I just decided to finish the project since I started to invest in parts anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
godfather
Club Member
godfather

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 6:50 am

Ok, update!

Its been a while... money is a funny thing. Hard to come by, easy to lose.

Got the trans checked out, and DRW said the only 'issue' was the engine brake disk is worn, other than that its fine. Respray will be done at the end of the year by a family friend who owns a respray booth. That and it'll be warmer then too...

So, that leaves new tyres and rims, right?

Well, I walked into City Discount Tyres last thursday and told them of the sad battle scars my old rims had and the fact my tyres were 3 years old and going quite bald... Long story short and Friday arvo I drove away with this on my car:

VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install P1070558

VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install P1070557

I got new HSV VZ 19" rims sitting on Neuton low profiles. While they aren't potenza's, I'm really happy with them!

Tell ya what tho, its like creating a clean spot on your car, the rest needs a good clean (and respray) too now!
Back to top Go down
Pazz
Club Member
Pazz

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 6:57 am

They really look the goods, well done
Back to top Go down
https://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 7:21 am

I like them John well done Smile
Back to top Go down
godfather
Club Member
godfather

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jun 2010, 12:34 am

Yeah I really like them!

As it is, it was a blessing in disguise. My mum was driving the kids to school yesterday morning and got a flat tyre near the first school (close to us). She checked it out and found the inner track of the right rear was worn to the steel inner mesh...

Anyway she parked it, dropped off one of the kids and walked with the other two home (in her PJ's and socks mind you).

Later on that day Dad gave me a call and asked if he could use 2 of my old rims and tyres on the rear of mums car, since they still had a little bit of tread left. Of course I let him use them, and as a result mum can now drive the car around until she gets enough money to buy two new rears (which will go on the front since we'll just rotate the existing fronts to the rears etc).

If I had just gotten new tyres on my old rims, mums car would be stuck in the mud until she got new tyres!

So now I can justify spending all my money on new rims and tyres!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jun 2010, 1:09 am

looks absolutely awesome John.....as for the Neutons, that's what I am running on the Statesman buddy, amazing tyres for the price
Back to top Go down
godfather
Club Member
godfather

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jun 2010, 2:58 am

@Andy, yeah I was skeptical at first, since I love my old Potenzas, but these fangdangled nooooootons seem to hold up well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install   VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VS Statesman Dash in a VP Berlina install
Page 1 of 1