HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

Share | 

LPG Explosion problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 4:29 am

Can anyone tell me why my LPG made a big bang on the way to the meeting lastnight? I opened the bonnet today to discover it had totally blown my airbox apart. Have to run on petrol at the moment.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 5:02 am

DAOLDMAN wrote:
Can anyone tell me why my LPG made a big bang on the way to the meeting lastnight? I opened the bonnet today to discover it had totally blown my airbox apart. Have to run on petrol at the moment.

Cheers

Cliff this problem is very common on Commodores on LPG, and is almost certainly a spark related issue....If you've got a crook lead it will arc over to another lead, this can result in the plug firing when the inlet valve is open... not a big problem when running on petrol but... when running on LPG your whole intake system downwind of the LPG ring/carb is full of combustable gas.....end result......BOOM! also would be an idea to check you have spark plugs that are designed for LPG.......when running on Gas, plugs need to be cooler than petrol.....and the 1st thing to check would be the spark plug Gap...as with LPG the spark needs to be spot on......

the easy fix to avoid blowing you Airbox to pieces is the old "Bathplug mod"....simply buy a good quality bath plug from Bunnings ( doesnt have to be a huge one just a small one will do fine), attach a chain to it and secure the other end of the chain via a screw to the top of the air box..

then cut a hole in the top of the airbox big enough to ensure the plug is a snug fit in the hole.......done.........next time if it ever occurs again it will simply blow the plug out and not blow the airbox to pieces......

had exactly the same issue with my old blue VB on gas and after blowing an airbox to bits I did this mod and never a problem again.......

I highly recommend you go for the platinum plugs Cliff, a bit more pricier, but well worth it in the long run.

Andy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 5:08 am

Thanks for the info Andy. Will check all the above. And has already got Platinum plugs. Cheers again
Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 6:08 am

The bath plug sounds like a brilliant idea, can't believe I've never heard of that one b4. Same principle as a burst plate on a blown motor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kerrbrosracing.com

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 6:19 am

DANNY8 wrote:
The bath plug sounds like a brilliant idea, can't believe I've never heard of that one b4. Same principle as a burst plate on a blown motor.

Yeah I couldnt think of a way to stop blowing another Airbox to pieces danny then I thought of a rubber grommet of some sort that would just pop out if too much pressure was to go thru the airbox.....then I thought of a bath plug, and chuck it on a chain and screw it down so it doesnt blow out and disappear.....from memory I think it cost me the sum total of $6.00
Back to top Go down
Pazz
Club Member

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 7:49 am

Agree with Andy on the fact it is normally a spark related issue that causes this.

Have seen the bath plug mod done a few times, have also seen a hinged flap added to the side of the box, the suction through the box holds it shut until the bang occurs when it blows out.

Have also seen air pipes replaced with pvc piping to try and save them from popping Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 9:12 am

the reason i found with the box blowing to bits is you put your foot on the excerator and start it and it get too much gas and then blows i solved the problem by putting a pod filter on my car and it somtimes backfires but it does not blow up i should know i blow 9 boxes up before geting the pod filter but remember if you put a pod filter on its got to have a pod cover over it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Wed 05 May 2010, 3:16 pm

Yeah mine was not from starting I was driving along Tapleys Hill road and just one all mighty bang. Then it started running ruff so I changed it over to petrol and it was ok. Will sort it out. CHeers every one
Back to top Go down
JBVL
Club Member

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: LPG Explosion problem   Thu 06 May 2010, 8:57 am

Hi Cliff its Gas their in lies your problem clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNY8
Club Member

Number of posts : 368

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Thu 06 May 2010, 11:00 am

ALIAS wrote:
Hi Cliff its Gas their in lies your problem clown

LPG isn't always bad. My bro's Mav shorty (GQ Patrol), is on dual fuel, and it's tuned for gas and it goes pretty hard. Runs a lot better on gas then fuel. These things are a tank and yeah $20 of fuel only lasted about half hour on the highway (could be sumfin wrong lol) and on gas it goes forever! Only trouble with the gas side of things he's had is it doesn't like starting on gas in the mornings, so he switches over to fuel when he parks it up just b4 he turns it off. She's a carby motor to, an old tb42, 4.2L of raw pullin power lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kerrbrosracing.com

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   Thu 06 May 2010, 2:57 pm

Hey nothing wrong with LPG my car runs great on LPG runs better than on petrol. ANd hey cheap as. It only cost me $10 to go on that cruise to Morgan, Excellent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LPG Explosion problem   

Back to top Go down

LPG Explosion problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1