coccsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

Roof lining

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vsv8wagon
Club Member
vsv8wagon

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 12:02 pm

Most of you know that I have been chasing for material that's close as is possible to my original roof lining (as they don't make it any more Mad) and though I have been to a few trimmers (Spencers included) only one showed me a sample that came pretty close (surprisingly not Spencers) and "yeh I'll chase my supplier and call you back" but as per usual with todays crappy customer service they never did. Well I made a note of the sample book that it came from and Googled it and presto they are here in SA. The company is Nolan.UDA located on Cross Keys road and we went there this morning and I couldn't help myself and picked up 4 metres for $80. Now bear in mind that this took nerves of steel as after this Lydia dropped me off at work AND SHE THEN DROVE THE WAGON BACK HOME affraid !!!!!!

Now the question is do I do it myself or go back to Spencers or who ever and have it done professionally ?????
Back to top Go down
Pazz
Club Member
Pazz

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 12:15 pm

Gave it some thought and really don't think i'm going to help your decision but me being me will give you my input anyway Rolling Eyes

The hardest part doing a sedan is getting the roof panel out through the drivers door and then back in once its repaired. The actual gluing/shaping/cutting is very easy to do and do well. Found this out during the 4 sedans I have done already.

Now being a wagon you would assume you could just take it out through the back door which would make the job very easy.

However being a wagon the panel is much longer which will make it a pain in the butt to handle/maneuver etc

I would think if you had a few hands to help with the removal/ installation it would be reasonably easy to do.

I would suggest you ring around and get quotes and then decide on which way to go. Would you rather have a lighter wallet and a professionally fixed roof or a fixed roof and the knowledge that you did it yourself.
Back to top Go down
https://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd
vsv8wagon
Club Member
vsv8wagon

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 12:40 pm

I thought folk would reply and say never let your wife drive the car !!!!

Thanks Pazz. It's tempting to do it myself as you are right about the fact that it is a wagon and so taking the lining out the back should be easy, and I do have a large concrete garage floor to put it on and work with and Lydia is there to give us a hand and if I did stuff it up what's another $80 when I was quoted $350 to do the lot ????

Did I just answer my question ? Well maybe but then again there's nothing like taking your car in one morning and then picking it up in the arvo and have some other bugger break his back and put it in for you .

Need to have another beer and think about it.

Cheers
Ron
Back to top Go down
Pazz
Club Member
Pazz

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 12:42 pm

I was going to mention about the wife driving the car...but after recent events I figured at least the car would be safe from the hoon driving laws pmsl
Back to top Go down
https://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd
vsv8wagon
Club Member
vsv8wagon

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 2:06 pm

10/10 there !
Back to top Go down

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 3:24 pm

Hey Grandpa if I can replace a VS wagon roof lining, then you can too !!!......My white VS wagon had drawing pins holding up the lining when I 1st got it...so decided to replace it myself, after being quoted $200 - $300.......a few tips for ya ......try and take out the cardboard lining as straight as possible, as what is causing the sag is the insulating foam between the lining and the cardboard support frame has disintergrated and powderised, due to the sun, and is basically now a orange dust......very messy if it gets out lol.....once you have it out, remove the lining and using a wire brush, scrub any remaining foam off the cardboard.....I didnt bother using a new insulating foam as it's only about 3mm thick to start with....I used spray on adhesive, and bout a plastic blade like you use to apply car bog, and used that to smooth out the lining on the cardboard...below are a few pics along with the end result....cheers ron, Andy

Roof lining Roofliningout

Roof lining Roofliningin

Roof lining Roofliningin1
Back to top Go down
SIG-346
Admin
SIG-346

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 5:14 pm

Good to know where you found it Grandpa, my VP needs doing too. Thanks Andy for the tips Smile
Back to top Go down
RBE 747
Club Member
RBE 747

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 2:53 pm

i cnt remember wat issue it was but somewhere in the street commodores magazine they had a article about fitting roof linning to i cnt remember if it was 1st gen or 2nd gen commodores... sorry it dosent help much but maybe u could ava look back through th mags...
Back to top Go down
vsv8wagon
Club Member
vsv8wagon

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jul 2010, 12:02 pm

Well did it i.e. got slack spent the hard earned bucks and took the wagon to Spencers today and had the headlining replaced. Came out schmick and can recommend them to anyone for there quality of work (hope I get commision there !!!)

Oh yeh how long is the headlining on a VN to VS sedan as I might have enough left over as I bought a tad to much.

Cheers
Ron 1,2 whatever aka Grandpa !
Back to top Go down
vsv8wagon
Club Member
vsv8wagon

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 12:25 pm

Since I got a huge reponse about my roof lining I thought I'd also say that I replaced my chrome plasticy thing on the tailgate today. The only annoying thing is that we no longer have an "All Commodore Day" to show it all off where like Commodore owners can appreciate the finer aspects of Commodores from all years, shapes and models !

Last edited by vsv8wagon on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 12:42 am

vsv8wagon wrote:
Since I got a huge reponse about my roof lining I thought I'd also say that I replaced my chrome plasticy thing on the tailgate today. The only annoying thing is that we no longer have an "All Commodore Day" to show it all off where like Commodore owners can appreciate the finer aspects of Commodores frpm all years, shapes and models !

I hear ya on that one Ron Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roof lining Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof lining   Roof lining Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roof lining
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
coccsa :: GENERAL :: General Discussion-
Jump to: