HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

Share | 

Tyres for the Honda

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vsv8wagon
Club Member

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm

Our Civic is in need of some new tires and the current set have done almost 80,000 kms . They were called "Caliente" (185 x 60 x 14), a cheap Bridgestone import (approx $80 to $85 each) and have now been discontinued. We had them before as well and they did approx 72,000 k's before we bought these. So my question is.... can anybody recommend a brand that will wear as long as these ??? They also need to be multi-directional so that I can rotate anyway I want and no, fork lift tyres are out of the question (for now anyway !)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pazz
Club Member

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:10 pm

Tyres I have on the wagon are Wanli. I have done more than 80000 on these and they cost me about $100 for 17"

They still have a lot of life left on them even the back ones which do lose traction at strange times...only seems to be when i use excessive force on the accelerator pedal lol

These are great in the wet too

from memory I got them from either a tyrepower or tyre choice
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:25 pm

Wanli are a very good low budget tyre
Back to top Go down
SIG-346
Admin

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 12:45 pm

Pazz, can you reccomend me some tyres for my car?? I only seem to get 6 months out of them lol

Ron, ill give my mate Matt @ Kensington Park Tyrepower a call tomorrow arvo for ya Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 2:17 pm

SIG-054 wrote:
Pazz, can you reccomend me some tyres for my car?? I only seem to get 6 months out of them lol

Ron, ill give my mate Matt @ Kensington Park Tyrepower a call tomorrow arvo for ya Smile

Thanks for that. I found some 185/60/14's on eBay today for $240 for 4 !!!!! The brand is "Pace" but do you think I can find out anything about them locally, nup ! I think they are Malayasian and are made from 95% Nylon, 4 % black clay and 1% rubber ?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pazz
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 2:27 pm

Had a quick look around the forums and on the online tyre review site...the general consensus seems to be that these are rubbish...one guy even cut up and threw away a brand new set because he said they were too dangerous to sell to someone else lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://coccsa.forumotion.net/your-ride-f3/innav8-my-spot-for-upd
SIG-346
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 2:39 pm

vsv8wagon wrote:
SIG-054 wrote:

Thanks for that. I found some 185/60/14's on eBay today for $240 for 4 !!!!! The brand is "Pace" but do you think I can find out anything about them locally, nup ! I think they are Malayasian and are made from 95% Nylon, 4 % black clay and 1% rubber ?????

Ron id stay away from Ebay tyres, you dont know how old they are or how they have been stored. Postage is a killer too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 2:47 pm

OK big 10-4 there !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:04 am

What are Nankangs like (quoted $85 from City Discount tyres at Alberton) ?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-ToM-

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:27 am

Ran Nankang NS2s on the 17s when i had the VR. They had heaaaaaaaaaps of grip in the dry, and werent too bad in the wet. Very long wearing too, i did 10,000kms on them and only 1-2mm of wear really. Probably good for 50-60,000kms

The Nankang XR-611 (which im pretty sure John would have quoted you) ive never used, but John reckons they are as good as the NS2, but quieter, and i trust what john says.

Ill be seeing John very soon for a set of Sumitomo HRT IIIs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:43 am

Thanks Tom. The Honda is a 1500cc auto with 74kws to burn up the road with so perhaps we could still get 70 to 80,000 k's ??? I think 1/2 the secret is constant rotation not as in on the axle ha ha but left to right etc and running them with at least 36 to 38 psi to get that even wear out of them. Every one may be surprised (cough cough) but I use a vernier calliper to check the depth (geeze I need a life)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-ToM-

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:47 am

quite possibly mate. The NS2s i had were lower profile and i gave them a decent workout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pazz
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 1:13 pm

nice to hear ya have a hand on it Ron

your tyre depth i mean Razz
Back to top Go down
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 1:36 pm

Pazz wrote:
nice to hear ya have a hand on it Ron

your tyre depth i mean Razz

Cum come now Pazz !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIG-346
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 2:37 pm

Ron, Matt at Tyrepower got back to me but only with 1 brand lol, if you want a cheaper alternative ill give him a call back tomorrow

Toyo $115ea

Ohh and ive had Nankang Ns2's and lasted 5000km.. They are too soft and have hardly any meat on the edges of the tread surface. Probably good for Live Axel, but not IRS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Fri 18 Jun 2010, 12:22 pm

Tom, don't forget the Honda is a 1500cc auto with 74kws not 474kws and I made a mistake re what we have done so far on these low performance Caliente solid rubber 1 % grip tyres. We have done 95,000 k's on them affraid Had a good price though from City Discount Tyres in Alberton, $85 for Nan ka tang 615's. Jake Baker wanted $110 and Tyre Power in Cheltenham $100 for the same ones !!!. So hey might as well take the risk and try them out ?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-ToM-

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Fri 18 Jun 2010, 3:16 pm

i would buddy. $85 bucks a pop for nankangs, you cant really go wrong.

I dropped into Johns after work today, and hes booked my in for Sumitomo HTR Z III's tomorrow at $240 a pop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIG-346
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Sat 19 Jun 2010, 4:30 am

vsv8wagon wrote:
Tom, don't forget the Honda is a 1500cc auto with 74kws not 474kws and I made a mistake re what we have done so far on these low performance Caliente solid rubber 1 % grip tyres. We have done 95,000 k's on them affraid Had a good price though from City Discount Tyres in Alberton, $85 for Nan ka tang 615's. Jake Baker wanted $110 and Tyre Power in Cheltenham $100 for the same ones !!!. So hey might as well take the risk and try them out ?????

No worries Ron, but if your going to have them on the car for that long of a period, wouldnt it be better to have a bit better tyre for only a few more $$ for piece of mind? Im sure no matter what brand you get they will last for the same amount of km.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vsv8wagon
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   Sat 19 Jun 2010, 6:27 am

Thanks for the concern (you sound like my Father !!!). The old Honda gets the big run-around at approx 25k per year so time wise they last as long as the Toyo's on the Dunnydoor i.e. 3 or so years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyres for the Honda   

Back to top Go down

Tyres for the Honda
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1