coccsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieVN

ZombieVN

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-14

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Empty
PostSubject: A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.   A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:37 pm

Thought I'd share a little DIY project...

I wanted to get door map pockets with the speakers, but couldn't find any in the same colour as my interior. Bummer. Couldn't find ANY map pockets the same colour. Real Bummer!

Plenty of grey ones so I thought I'd have a go at covering some.

Didn't want to have the carpeted bit bare so I had a go at doing '3800' but it didn't work right so scrap that, went for 'V6' instead. Thought about chrome badges but decided against it.

Took around 1.5 hours in Spotlight trying to find the right colour material. (Went with the girlfriend so I didn't look too weird Wink )

It's not quite right but it's the closest colour I could find. Tried to avoid a cranky looking b!$@# working there who said flat out "There's no red in that, it's just brown!" I say burgandy- she said brown? scratch

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00215 My tools. Spray glue, scissors, hair dryer, bit of scrap cardboard and of course- coffee.

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00216 Tried to do 3800 but couldn't get it to look right so, V6 it is! Some 2mm balsa wood and a razor blade- Walla!

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00217 Bit of a colour difference...

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00218 Weird kind of fabric but oh-well.

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00220 Nearly done, just a few spots to get right and stick down properly. You can see I did it with 2 sections of fabric. Wasn't working with one piece!

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00221 Meh? Made sure to top looked the best. A little messy on the bottom but you won't see that unless your lying on the ground...

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. DSC00223 Didn't turn out too bad.

Basically sprayed on a heap of glue and warmed it up with the hair dryer so it wasn't so wet. If it was too wet the fabric would soak it up and go too dark.

While the glue was just 'tacky' I laid the fabric over and rubbed it into all the nooks and crannies and made sure it was smooth then got it hot with the hair dryer again to basically 'set' it.

The next step is to work out what colour for the speaker grille's. Don't know if I should spray the plastic black or silver, or put some mesh over it?

Only thing I should've done is the passenger side first! The drivers side looks a little worse with some dark spots and not stuck down around the V6 properly but I'll see how it looks in the car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.   A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov 2010, 10:40 am

I reckon paint speaker covers black it will match handbrake, gear lever, black shroud of the clusters & black on center console. well that's my opinion.
Back to top Go down
DarkStar

DarkStar

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.   A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov 2010, 2:05 pm

Black would definitely look good. Try a gloss finish paint for a bit of extra shine! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1650784809
ZombieVN

ZombieVN

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.   A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm

Cheers for the suggestions.

Hey 05VZ, have you forgotten? It's taxi-pack grey... No fancy black. He He!

Though I am thinking black mesh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.   A bit of DIY trimming on door pods. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A bit of DIY trimming on door pods.
Page 1 of 1