coccsa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
events in the planning include several cars shows, cruises (both ours and other clubs and organising groups) and also a Paintball Day down at monarto. The Next COCC cruise will be on the 1st of September, Please look for it in the Club Cruise section
The 2013 events calendar has been updated with a few new events, please have a look and let the committee know if you are interested

LS1 to rebuild or replace????

Go down 
+2
DANNY8
Clby57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Clby57

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-16

LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Empty
PostSubject: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 12:38 am

hi need some help.

i have a VTII Clubsport ls1 6sp stock standard and it has started to blow black and blue smoke depending what im doing on the gas pedal the car has 290,000km on the clock so its time for rebuild or new engine.
I have a $6000.00 limit to fix this problem im going to do the work myself for either option to save some money.
can anyone help me not sure which option to do or where to get parts from????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 1:17 am

Hi M8,I am sure u can buy them off e-bay for around $2000

I have another m8 who own a clubby motor & tran's ,about 140,000km
he is asking $3500 with the motor and tran's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 2:34 am

mario's choice would be the go...throw that in then sell your motor and trans you remove for $1500.....and bam, new motor and trans for 2K !!!!!
Back to top Go down
DANNY8
Club Member
DANNY8

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 4:23 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.kerrbrosracing.com
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 8:39 am

What do you want? its hard to help.

Option one: Rebuild original engine.
cost more than a crate motor unless you do a second hand job, same as factory hp limited warranty

Option two: crate motor
Cheap quick and easy, original hp again, new long life engine, has warranty

Option three: Second hand
cheapest, you could get a good buy or a lemon, no warranty.

Option four: build a better engine
cost the most but more hp and limited warranty.

For a daily i would buy a crate motor as its cheap has original hp and easy to do. also has warranty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eatmine.com
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 9:11 am

Back to top Go down
RBE 747
Club Member
RBE 747

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2009-05-23

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

hey mate if ya want keep it all original my mechanic got a vt series 2 clubby alos and has the original hsv motor n trans out as he put a ls2 n blower on it the vt clubby motor only has 54xxx kms on it n is asking about 3- 3500 for it matye if ur interested..??? can contact me on 0421718874
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 10:17 am

The first thing should be the question. What is wrong with your motor. If you have the knowledge to do an engine swap and all the labour yourself you should be able to diagnose what is wrong with the current motor.

If you have $6000 I wouldnt be wasting time. Id be buying a crate motor and not looking back. For $6000 you could get an LS3 and manual box. So you have plenty of dosh to get what you need done. Especially if you want to go cheap with a replacement LS1.
Back to top Go down
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 10:38 am

you are right i may be just valve stem seals, but if its more like rings etc don't spend to much time or money there throw away motors (because there cheap) a comp test may help work out whats passing.

$6000 for LS3 and box (would be second hand) also $6000 is max he wants to spend.

if you go L76 L98 etc are they a straight swap or do you need to change loom and computer etc?
Back to top Go down
RBE 747
Club Member
RBE 747

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2009-05-23

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 10:43 am

u get a few adaptor plugs cuz a few sensors r at the back of gthe motor but they come with it......
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

Ah no. $6000 is a new LS3 and 6 spd. And not off the back of a truck before anyone says. Just have to look.
Back to top Go down
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:00 am

i have been, but can not find where.
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:07 am

Well my mate jus did a cammed LS3 6 spd conversion which is good for 320 rwkw's which got motor, cam, all attachments, 6 spd, clutch, heavy duty diff blah blah blah and got it all done for $9000. But thats everything not just a motor and box. Not shabby at all
Back to top Go down
HRDNUP

HRDNUP

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

sure
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:20 am

Pretty dam sure actually. You have probably seen the car. VX HBD purple over silver number plate TREMOR. So yeh, $9000 for all that done in house no labour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

yeah but how much money did he spend in house prior to that ???
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 11:31 am

Everything he spent before hand was on his old LS1 and auto and paint. The LS3 and manual were not anything to do with the old driveline. So basically if you had an LS1 now you could do a cammed LS3 manual with a new diff for $9000 if you did it all yourself.
Back to top Go down
SIG-346
Admin
SIG-346

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 7:01 am

Having been through an LS3 conversion into a VT-VY first hand, no way will it cost as previously quoted. I could dig up the invoice if needed i suppose.

There is all the wiring mods for injectors, knock sensors, MAP sensor etc, Reluctor wheel change, Cam Swap as you can not use the original standard cam, cam wheel, 4 bolt 90mm Holley throttle body, valve spring upgrade due to cam swap, Fluids + Labour etc. Im sure ive forgotten a few things eg Tuning

Thats on top of your original purchase price of approx $5995.

Bank on approx $12,000 for the whole lot, drive in drive out.

Personally, i would go to rhemac engines in Gawler, and price up Head reconditioning, plus Piston and Rod combo, will be a nice stout package with a camshaft upgrade. Should be around $6000 i would presume, but dont quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 7:42 am

No Tom it was done for $9000. Can easily ask him as a few people on here know him. He didnt pay labour at all. That was the only upside he had. And fluids etc would've been trade price.
Back to top Go down
SIG-346
Admin
SIG-346

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 7:51 am

But your giving advice to someone else about their situation saying yeah it will only cost $9000. Not going to happen for anyone else bud. Craigs Dad owns Redmont motors if i recall correctly.

Where do u get these engines for dirt cheap, i would love to buy one and register it in mine, with an engine number..

Back to top Go down
SDEWYZ

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 8:00 am

Yeh. Thats Craig's old man at Redmont. Other's can do same. Could get parts same price. I do all the time. Always get mates to get my parts at trade price unless its an absolute emergency or something dirt cheap anyways. And labour goes on who you know really and who you can get to lend a hand. Engine swaps arent hard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LS1 to rebuild or replace????    LS1 to rebuild or replace????  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LS1 to rebuild or replace????
Page 1 of 1